Laapsi is an Indian sweet dish made of broken wheat pieces(Dalia) and ghee along with almonds. It can also be served as a dessert. The benefits of Broken Wheat are its highly rich in fibre. Its very good source of iron. It is full of minerals and vitamins. A classic sweet dish made in all Rajasthani households be it an occasion or just beacuse. The traditional recipe that is made is plain and simple without any nuts and spices. However adding almonds, dried raisins and nuts to this recipe makes it richer and tastier.
1 cup broken wheat
1 cup jaggery (grated)
2 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp ghee
1) Take ghee in a heavy pan and add broken wheat. Fry on medium heat.
2) Stir and cook till the wheat turns golden in colour and exudes aroma.
3)Add boiled water to roasted wheat.
4)Stir gently and cook till the wheat becomes soft.
5)Add jaggery, cardamom powder and chopped badam.
6) Reduce the heat to low and cook covered till the water is all soaked up and the dalia is well cooked. Takes about 20-25 minutes.
7) Cook till ghee separates along the sides.
8 ) Remove in a serving dish and garnish with almonds
9) Serve the laapsi warm as a dessert or a sweet for special occasions.
1) Always roast the broken wheat on medium flame.
2) Stir continuously while roasting otherwise the lapsi will burn.
3) I have added grated jaggery to Dalia you can also make jaggery warm water and add.