Dal (also spelled dahl or daal) is a preparation of pulses /dried lentils which have been stripped of their outer hulls and split. Lentils and pulses play an important role in our daily cooking as they are rich in proteins Pachrangi Dal is my all time favourite. It’s spicy Dal taste is soo yumm that I cook often. I have used five types of Dal here so named it as Pachrangi Dal .. The lentils I have used are Chana Dal, Tuvar Dal, Moong Dal, Urad Dal and Masood dal.. A mixture of all these dals gives great flavour to dal fry. This mixed dal goes with any rice varieties as well rotis/ parathas.
To boil Mix Dal:
2 tsp chana dal
2 tsp tuvar dal
2 tsp urad dal
2 tsp moong dal
2 tsp masor dal
1 pinch turmeric powder
2 cups water for pressure cooking
For Tadka/ Tempering:
2 tsp ghee
1 Clove garlic – thinly chopped
1 tsp ginger – thinly chopped
1 medium green chili – thinly chopped
7-8 curry leaves
2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp red chili powder
½ tsp coriander powder,
¼ tsp garam masala powder
Pinch of asafetida (Hing)
Salt to taste
2 tsp chopped Coriander leaves for garnishing..
1. In a pressure cooker, add all the dals/lentils 2. Add water, turmeric, salt and close the lid.
3. Pressure cook on high flame until first whistle.
4. Reduce the flame to medium and cook till 3 more whistles and then turn off the heat.
5. Now heat ghee in a pan add cumin seeds, cloves and let them crackle on medium heat.
6.Add garlic & curry leaves and sauté for 1/2 minute.
7.Now add, green chili, red chili, tumeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powdera, aesofatidaand sauté everything for 1/2 minute and lower the heat.
8. . Mix the spice powders with the rest of the masala.
9. Now add the cooked dal and mix well.
10. Also add ½ cup water or more adjusting consistency as required.
11. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or till dal absorb flavour.
12. Season with salt and mix again.
13. Simmer the dal on a low flame for about 6 to 7 minutes or till the dal thickens a bit. Keep on stirring the dal at intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
14. Turn off the heat.
15. Garnish with some coriander leaves and Serve the dal hot with rotis or parathas.
Add dal of your choice like urad dal, rajma or chole (note: few dal need soaking and also more cooking time).
Cook the dal in a pressure cooker or open vessel till they turn soft.
Adjust the consistency of dal (thick /thin) to your choice.