Kalakand is a very popular Indian traditional mithai made with whole milk, variation of burfi, and is soft and grainy in texture.
This Kalakand recipe is an easy sweet with only basic ingredients available from home.. We need milk, sugar and a pinch of Alum powder( Fitagri in hindi, padigaram in Tamil) to make this within minutes with very less effort. For flavoring cardamom powder and for garnishing almonds are added. It has a moist, crumbly and grainy texture with sweet milky taste.
1 litre Milk (Full cream)
1/2 cup Sugar
A pinch of Alum powder
A pinch of cardamon powder
5 – 6 Almond or pistachio or any nuts of your choice for garnishing
1. Take milk in a pan on medium heat. And bring it to a boil.
2. Once it starts boiling, add a pinch of Alum powder and keep stirring till the milk solids and whey gets separated.
3. Add the sugar and continue to cook and stirring until the mixture become soft lump and start leaving the pan from sides.
4. Pour it over greased plate keeping about half inch thick.
5. Smooth the top evenly and sprinkle the nuts..
6. Let it cool down completely and let it set. Then using a sharp knife make square pieces.
7. Refrigerate kalakand for atleast 2 hours.
8. Remove the pieces gently and serve.
1. Always use heavy bottom pan to make kalakand.
2. Kalakand stays good for 2-3 days at room temperature / for a week in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
3. If kalakand is too soft put the plate in microwave oven (plate should be microwave safe) for 2 to 3 minutes. Making sure kalakand don’t become dry.
4. You can garnish with your favourite nuts.
5. Kalakand Can be favoured with cardamom powder or rose water.