Rajasthani Moong Dal Halwa is an Indian dessert made with skinless split green gram and its a luxurious yet lip-smacking sweet from the state of Rajasthan..
It takes a long time to cook so be prepared for that. But I can assure you that the end result will be worth all the efforts.
This Moong ka halwa requires lots of patience and muscle work and also lots of ghee to come together.
It’s a very rich sweet with loads of ghee and Almonds.
Do give a try to this Moong dal ka halwa , it will fill your home with a strong aroma captivating all your senses and making your mouth watery…
1 cup Yellow Moong Dal
3/4 cup Ghee
3/4 cup Sugar
1 tspn Saffron strands
1/2 cup sliced almonds for garnish
1 tspn Eliachi Powder (Cardamon Powder)
1. Wash yellow Dal and soak for 4 hours.
2. During this time Dal will swell and double the size..
3. Now drain the water and grind in mice without adding water to a fine paste.
4. Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan. Add dal and start sauteing.
5. Keeping the heat at medium-low, cook the moong dal paste in ghee till it becomes very granular and you can start to smell the aroma of roasted dal. You need to stir it frequently to ensure uniform cooking. Takes about 30 mins.
Following pictures shows the color of the moong dal paste after drying.
6. Now add hot water and stir until it leaves ghee on the sides.
7.Add eliachi powder and sliced almond nuts.
8. Dissolve saffron in 2 tbsp warm water and add to the Dal.
9.Finally add sugar. Cook until sugar is well blended with the dal mixture and the halwa leaves ghee on the sides.
10. Now turn off the heat, delicious moong dal halwa is ready.
11.Serve it hot, garnished with nuts.
12. Transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate it.
1. Moong dal ka halwa demands lots of ghee in its preparation.
2. If the steps are not followed correctly, this halwa can turn into a disaster.
3. It stays good for 2 weeks.