Uppu Urundai is an easy and healthy South Indian breakfast/snacks recipe.. It’s a steamed rice balls flavored wonderfully with Indian seasonings. This is a light and delicious dish, very soothing and comfortable for your tummy. All my family members love it..
1 cup Rice Flour
2 cup Water
1/2 Grated Coconut
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
I tsp Cumin seeds
3-4 Dry Red Chilly (Gundu Millagai)
2 tsp Channa dal
1/4 tsp Hing
1.Wash and soak the rice in sufficient water for a minimum of 3 hrs. You can leave it to soak overnight as well.
2. Transfer the rice to a mixie/blender, add sufficient water and grind it into a coarse batter. The batter should be slightly thin.
3. Now add the coconut, salt to the batter and pulse for a couple of times until everything is blended well. Keep it aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan, add in all the seasoning ingredients and saute for a min.
5. Now, add the batter to the pan and stir continuously until the water evaporates from the batter and it comes to a ball consistency. Turn off the flame and let it slightly cool down until you will be able to handle it with your hands.
6. Once it is cool enough, make small sized balls. Steam the balls for 10 – 15 mins until they are cooked through. I have steamed in my idly cooker..
7. Serve hot with tomato thokku or any spicy chutney or any chutney of your choice.
🔥While making the balls, roll them gently. If you roll the balls tightly, then the balls will turn out hard after steaming.
🔥You can oil your palms if the batter is sticking while rolling the balls.
🔥Do not over steam the balls, they would turn out hard